It’s an old marketing adage that people don’t buy your product or service, they buy the BENEFITS of whatever you’re selling.
Sounds cool, right?
…but what does that actually mean?
Well, here’s another way of looking at it…
There’s really only ONE thing any customer buys, and that’s TRANSFORMATION.
A buyer wants something – anything – that will…
Take them from where they ARE to where they want to BE
Thus, whenever you write a post or email message, record a video or Facebook Live, or talk to somebody on the phone, your ability to get them to say “yes” depends on how well you get inside their mind and show them how you can help them get there.
You could be selling…
- Insurance, or
- Precious metals
You’re really only selling transformation.
Let’s explore the “before and after” of this transformation they’re seeking.
Before = “Unhappy”
Your ideal prospect is unhappy for a particular reason.
- Feeling unattractive
- Stuck in a dead end job they hate
- Lacking the energy to keep up with their kids or grandkids
Maybe they’re worried about having enough money to…
- Send the kids to college
- Buy or remodel their house
Your company, product, or niche is designed to address this unhappiness in some way – to provide some sort of “after.”
After = “Happy”
“Happy” is where they want to be.
They want their particular discomfort, pain, fear, or problem to resolve, improve, or just go away.
They want to…
- Look and feel better – to look in the mirror and love what they see
- Enjoy renewed, youthful intimacy with their spouse or partner
- Feel free to quit that lousy job
- Sprint up the stairs after their kids or grandkids without running out of breath
- Experience the financial freedom to do things, buy things, and experience things they’ve never been able to before
The only way you’ll ever be able to communicate with your prospects effectively is to get very clear about their particular “before” and desired “after” states.
The success of every ad you write, every blog entry you post, every email you send, and every telephone call you have depends on it.
And if you truly want to get inside your prospect’s mind, you’ll need to do some written work…and some deep thinking work.
You’ll want to take some time to research and write down what you discover, beginning with step #1:
Ask yourself what…
- Pain are they experiencing?
- Challenges are they facing?
- Problems do they have?
The pain, problems, or challenges are often not apparent on the surface.
It’s not just, “I want to lose 10 pounds.”
Why is losing that 10 pounds important?
- Is it to improve their health?
- Look better for their spouse or partner?
- Feel more vibrant and energetic?
It’s not just, “I want to make more money.”
Why is making more money important?
What problems would making more money solve?
- Is it to remodel the house?
- Save for their kids’ college?
- Take a long-postponed vacation?
You must dig deep so you can understand the psychology of your ideal customer.
You’ll want to specifically detail…
- What are their goals?
- What are they trying to accomplish?
- What would their life look like if their pain, problem, or challenge disappeared?
- How do they want to feel?
- What do they want to experience?
- Who do they want to be?
Remember, you’re not selling a product. You’re not selling a service.
You’re not selling a pill or a shake, a lotion or a potion.
Your prospects don’t want to buy those things.
Again, always remember that you’re selling transformation.
And you need to be crystal clear about the before, the after, and the transformation that can take place as a result of what you’re providing your customer.
Next you’ll need to…
Now it’s time to uncover why might somebody decide NOT buy your product or service?
One reason might simply be the network marketing or home-based business industry itself.
Unfortunately, in the home-based business industry many people might have felt scammed, swindled, or taken advantage of.
Maybe somebody took their money and didn’t fulfill their promise – and your customer got hosed.
After all, there are unethical “gurus” out there.
Why might somebody decide NOT to buy from YOU in particular?
Maybe they’re willing to buy, but they’re just not willing to buy from you because you haven’t built up enough trust factor yet.
They might not really know you, yet.
Other objections, of course, will boil down to money and time.
Get clear about why YOUR ideal customer might initially object to your offer.
Now you’ll need to invest some time to…
Defining and getting to know your Customer Avatar can be tricky.
One of the biggest challenges I see is that people focus too much on customer demographics and too little on customer intent.
So let me clear that up for you.
Demographic info and characteristics include the following information about your ideal customer…
- Marital Status
- Education level
- Number of children
- Ages of children
This is all stuff you can just make up.
It’s fine as far as it goes, but it’s not very helpful in terms of getting inside their minds.
When you start digging around and thinking about…
- How old their home is and how many square feet it is
- What grades their children are in and the specific schools they go to
- The customer’s actual annual income year over year
You’re too bogged down in the details.
You’re not really diving DEEP
You’re still swimming on the surface.
This surface information conveys NOTHING about your ideal customer’s INTENT.
What does your ideal customer – your avatar — really want to do?
- What is their intention?
- What do they want to accomplish?
- What’s their ideal “After” state?
- What is the transformation they’re looking for?
So when you’re thinking about your avatar, don’t just focus on the demographics, because when you start setting up targeting for your Facebook ad campaign you’re going to put yourself in a bind.
If you base your targeting only on demographics – and you don’t include your customer’s intention – you’ll miss the boat entirely.
Instead, you want to…
You have to put yourself where your ideal customer currently is – not where you think they should be.
- Where are they searching for solutions to their problem or concern?
- Where do they spend their time online? Offline?
- What events do they attend?
- What blogs, forums, or websites do they visit?
Based on your own products and niche, research and write down…
- The top 5 or 10 blogs, forums, or websites in your niche
- The top industry events within your niche
- The top magazines in your niche that your ideal customer might read
- The top coaches, gurus, or thought leaders within your niche that your ideal customer would follow
THAT information gets you aimed at your customer’s INTENT.
If you discover that your ideal customer is attending a certain event, or visiting a particular blog, forum, or website for information, that’s where you need to meet them.
Meet them with your content and speak to them where they are.
It’s tough to research your customer avatar based solely on demographics.
You need to focus more on their psychology and intent
Examples of intent might be…
- Are they interested in getting a new car?
- Do they want to have straight teeth, or to have their teeth whitened?
- Are they interested in growing a vegetable garden in their back yard?
- Will they be taking a major vacation in the next six months?
Here are some examples of intent that might fall within our particular niche…
- Take (or be able to afford) more vacations with their family
- Have more free time at home with the kids
- Retire their spouse or partner
- Retire early themselves
- Quit their day job
Those examples show the intent of people who might want to get into the home-based business industry, or who might be seeking something like Elite Marketing Pro.
Your ideal customer is looking for an “after” state and a specific intention they want to fulfill
Here’s the truth…
No out-of-shape, overweight person suddenly wakes up one morning and says…
“I really want to buy a treadmill. That’s what I want to do.”
They might actually wake up and say…
“I have to get in shape. I need to lose some weight. After all, I’ve got to be able to fit into my suit again, because I have a 25th high school reunion coming up in a couple of months and I want to look good!”
Treadmill companies are not marketing treadmills!
They’re marketing transformation.
They know no one wants to buy a treadmill.
Their customers want the “after” state that comes from using the treadmill over time.
After all, when you look at treadmill commercials (or any other exercise equipment commercials, for that matter), they always feature people who are in amazing shape using the equipment.
The actors or models in those commercials are super fit.
The guys have six-pack abs and great muscles, and the women are sleek and flexible.
They represent the transformation they’re trying to sell.
Their ideal customers WANT to look like those models or actors.
They want that after state.
In your own marketing, sell the transformation – the “after” state
That’s the only thing people ever buy.
So, again, focus more on intent than on demographics.
Now, as I wrap this up, I just want to remind you about how to speak to your Ideal customer avatar.
Don’t try to drag your customer or audience into a new conversation.
Join the conversation they’re already having in their own head.
Use the words they use, not words you use.
If your ideal customer hasn’t done any online marketing yet and you’re using words like…
- lead pages,
- capture pages,
- lead magnets,
- landing pages, and
…they won’t have a clue what any of that means.
It won’t make any sense to them. It’s going to go right over their head.
If your ideal customer isn’t in network marketing yet, and you’re using words like…
- downlines and uplines
….they’re not going to know what any of that means.
You’re using your own vernacular and industry jargon that you use every day.
You know and are very familiar and comfortable with those words, but your ideal customer has most likely never heard them before.
You’re not speaking to your ideal customer and the conversation that’s going on in their head.
So always be mindful of the conversation in their head, what their intent is, and what “after” state they want
Focus on the transformation that they’re going to experience when they use your product.
So, in closing, let me say this…
No one wakes up in the morning and says…
“I’m going to buy a system to teach myself about attraction marketing so I can generate more leads for my business!”
Instead, they are thinking…
- “I wish my business would produce enough money so I could spend more time at home with the family.”
- “Man, I wish I felt more secure about having enough money to send the kids to college.”
- “I want to break through and get results in my business the fastest way possible.”
Now, if you’d like to learn more about connecting with your ideal customers almost effortlessly…
Then I strongly recommend getting access to Elite Marketing Pro’s FREE 10-Day Online Recruiting Bootcamp to discover how to build your business using attraction marketing.
This free training will show you how to find prospects online and build your business faster and more efficiently than you ever thought possible.
Qualified prospects will find you – every day – and they’ll already be interested in the transformation you’re offering them.
You can take advantage of these methods starting today—no matter how much (or little) online prospecting and recruiting experience you currently have.
This training is not vague, fuzzy, or “pie in the sky.”
You’ll learn actionable steps you can put to work right away.
And if you take this process seriously, I guarantee that it will change your life and you’ll experience the transformation you’re looking for!
So if you’re ready to get started…Simply click here and you’ll get access to EMP’s 10-Day Online Recruiting Bootcamp.
And if you found this content helpful, I would love to read your comments below!
Content Marketing Expert & Super Affiliate
FREE INTERNET RECRUITING COURSE
Finally, An Easy Way To Recruit Into Your Network Marketing Business – Rejection FREE – Without Wasting Your Time & Money Chasing Dead Beat Prospects & Leads…
Claim Your Free Internet Recruiting Bootcamp…
Latest posts by Bill Pescosolido (see all)
- The 5-Step Process to Get Inside Your Prospect’s Mind & Position Your Product or Service as Their Perfect Solution - October 29, 2018
- 4 Proven Methods to Establish Your Authority in the Online Network Marketing Arena - May 14, 2018
- How to Maintain Your Posture When Speaking with Prospects Using Assumptive Questions - March 6, 2018